Edmond Dentist Recognizes TMJ Disorders
The temporomandibular joint, also known simply as TMJ, connects your jawbone to your skull like a sliding hinge. Sometimes, the TMJ can become misaligned on one side which refers to a TMJ disorder. Believe it or not, TMJ disorders are actually becoming more common and that’s why our Edmond dentist wanted to share a few tips with you on how you may be able to prevent the pain.
As you may imagine, this type of disorder tends to cause pain in the patient’s jaw joint and in the muscles that control jaw movement. Before our Edmond dentist jumps right into what you can do to alleviate the symptoms, let’s take a look at how you may determine if you have a TMJ disorder:
- Jaw tenderness or pain
- Aching pain in and around the ear
- Chewing difficulty or discomfort
- Facial aching pain
- Difficulty opening or closing the mouth due to joint locking
Now, here are some tips that may help you avoid pain caused by a TMJ disorder:
- Try to eat soft foods and take smaller bites so as to avoid overuse of your jaw muscles. It would be wise to avoid sticky and overly chewy foods and treats, especially chewing gum.
- Massage the jaw area and consider some gentle stretching. One way to stretch the jaw involves pressing the tip of the tongue to the roof of your mouth, then slowly opening your mouth as much as you can without it becoming painful.
- Apply a warm, moist rag for 5-20 minutes. A lot of people like to follow this up with an ice pack pressed to the side of the face for about 10 minutes.
Along with stretching and caring for your mouth, our Edmond dentist would recommend that people with TMJ disorders should be careful not to open the mouth too wide while brushing and flossing.
Of course, our Edmond dentist is not saying that you should stop caring about your dental hygiene! To make an appointment with our Edmond dentist, you may call 405-844-8445.
Note: If TMJ pain persists even after trying everything mentioned above, it may be time to seek medical assistance.