A Dry Mouth is more than just an annoyance, it can lead to real damage. Dentist in Edmond explains why
The biggest danger with having a dry mouth is not having any saliva. Saliva helps keep our mouth clean by washing away plaque and germs that cause gum disease. If you suffer from chronic dry mouth, your also at increased risk of tooth decay and gum disease! Having a dry mouth can also lead to other side effects such as: Sore Throat, Fungal Infection inside the mouth, Burning sensations, and difficulty speaking. Dry mouth becomes more common as we get older, Ballinger Family Dentistry, Dentist in Edmond, has some tips to help avoid this annoying danger at bay!
If your going to treat your chronic dry mouth, it’s best to know what’s causing it. There are many things that can cause dry mouth including:
- Autoimmune Disorders
Once you identify the cause, talk to your doctor about ways you can help treat your chronic dry mouth. There are some temporary solutions you can try right now to help alleviate your dry mouth:
- Sip Water regularly: Seems like a no brainer, but keeping yourself hydrated will help your body produce saliva. Sipping at regular intervals also lets the water act like a saliva replacement.
- Stop all tobacco use: Among many other reasons you should quit chewing tobacco and smoking, they can also dry out your mouth.
- Chew Sugar-Free Gum: Chew some sugar-free gum to provoke saliva production. Be careful though, Xylitol, a chemical used in sugar free gums can cause cramps if consumed in large quantities.
- Try a Mouthwash designed for Dry-Mouth: There are some mouthwash designed to help treat dry mouth, look for ones with Xylitol as they also help with Tooth protection.
- Limit Caffeine Intake: Caffeine can make your mouth drier, limiting your intake can help improve your oral health. Just make sure you pack some Ibuprofen for the caffeine headaches.
And remember, part of maintaining your Oral Health is to visit your Dentist regularly. Call Ballinger Family Dentistry, Dentist in Edmond, today at 405-844-8445!