Edmond Dentist Shares Signs Of Gingivitis
Of all the dental terms out there you’ve probably heard of gingivitis more than anything else, but do you really understand what it is? You’d be surprised how many of our patients tell Dr. Ballinger, your Edmond dentist that they had no idea they had gingivitis. That’s why, today, we’re going to share a little bit about why you might have this problem and what you’d expect to see if you have this common gum disease.
The most common reason some patients come to Dr. Ballinger, your Edmond dentist with gingivitis is simply due to poor oral hygiene. This can be due to many risk factors which include:
- Smoking or chewing tobacco
- Older age
- Dry mouth
- Poor nutrition, including vitamin C deficiency
- Poor brushing and/or flossing habits
- Dental restorations that don’t fit properly
- Crooked teeth that are difficult to clean
- Immune system decrease from conditions such as leukemia, HIV/AIDS or cancer treatment
- Certain drugs, such as phenytoin (Dilantin, Phenytek) for epileptic seizures, and some calcium channel blockers, used for angina, high blood pressure and other conditions
- Hormonal changes, such as those related to pregnancy, menstrual cycle or use of birth control pills
- Medical conditions such as certain viral and fungal infections
When you have this gum disease, Dr. Ballinger, your Edmond dentist is able to notice by the build-up of plaque and tartar on your teeth. Irritation of the gums is also a characteristic of gingivitis. The following list is comprised of a few other signs of gingivitis:
- Swollen or puffy gums
- Tender gums
- Receding gums
- Bad breath
- Gums that bleed easily when you brush or floss
- Dusky red or dark red gums
Untreated gingivitis can progress to periodontitis which is gum disease under the tissue and bone. This is a much more serious condition that can lead to tooth loss. Thus, Dr. Ballinger, your Edmond dentist would encourage you to keep an eye out for signs of gingivitis. In addition, we would suggest daily brushing, flossing, and regular dental work to maintain a healthy mouth.
If you’d like to make an appointment with Dr. Ballinger, Edmond dentist, we’d love to help you keep that smile bright! You may reach us at 405-844-8445.